Saturday, September 23, 2017
Hello parents and students,
Our first competition of the season is this Saturday in Toledo. Here is the must-have information for this competition. There are many details in this email. Please read carefully. Also note that there is a site map attached to this email. Many thanks!
4:30am arrive at WBHS
5:00am buses depart WBHS
6:30am arrive at Toledo Glass Bowl. Unload truck and warm up
8:30am perform in prelims
8:45am load truck. Change. Watch other groups. Brunch will be provided to the students. (Any additional meals during the day will need to be purchased by the students in the stadium.)
4:45pm Prelim Awards
5:00pm clear the stadium.
After this, it depends upon if we make finals or not. If we make finals:
7:45pm Finals begin. Warm up could be as early as 6pm
10:15pm Finals end
10:30pm Finals awards
11:00pm depart site
12:30am arrive at WBHS
NOTE: If we do not make finals we will leave the stadium at 5:00pm, arriving back to WBHS at approximately 6:30 pm.
- The buses will be leaving West Bloomfield High School at 5:00am. Please be here at 4:30am so that you can check in and board the bus.
- Once the students change and eat brunch, they will not be back to the buses until we leave. They may want to bring a small bag to carry their belongings into the stadium.
- Keep in mind that since Toledo is only an hour and a half away, the buses will not be stopping for restroom breaks.
Because we are leaving so early on Saturday…
- Every student should bring their uniform home after this Friday night’s practice. They should arrive to board the bus on Saturday morning in full uniform with their instrument.
- Remember that NO food or drink should be consumed while wearing the uniform.
- Please be sure to wear BLACK socks with your dinkles (marching shoes).
- Since the collars of our new uniforms are white, please be careful not to apply any make-up or lotion of any kind near the collar.
- Be sure to bring the uniform bag and all of the uniform pieces with you to the bus.
- After our performance, the students will need to change out of their uniforms. Be sure that they have a change of clothes or something they can wear that was under their uniform.
- Since there are no changing facilities to do this, the girls will change on the girls’ bus and the boys will change on the boys’ bus. Please have the students wear something under their uniforms that is conducive to changing on the buses.
Students will receive a brunch after they perform. Any additional meals during the day will need to be purchased by the students in the stadium. According to BOA, food cannot be brought into the stadium.
- Important brunch note- The brunch is planned for the students. If you are a Pit Crew parent or chaperone and would like brunch, please email Marguerite at firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Friday so she can have a correct food count.
- Parents and students can give a brunch donation (suggested $5 amount) to Ruth Richards either today or Friday after practice and Saturday morning.
Since the forecast is calling for a very warm & sunny day (high of 85) on Saturday, and the stadium is an outdoor stadium, students need to bring sunscreen. Keep in mind that we sit in the stands and watch the other performances.
- Important sunscreen note – Please apply sunscreen AFTER you have removed your uniforms. There will be no need to have it on while you perform. It will only be needed while sitting in the audience after you perform.
Many Pit Crew members are needed this weekend. If you are a parent that is going down for the performance, the Pit Crew can really use your help getting the props and equipment on and off the field for the performance. There will be a practice for the parents this Friday at 6:00pm at the high school. You will need to be in Toledo on Saturday at 6:30am to help with props.
- Location: The Glass Bowl
University of Toledo
3044 N. Glass Bowl Dr.
Toledo, OH 43606
- If parents are planning to drive down to watch the show, a copy of the site overview map is attached.
If your student wants a BOA patch for their letter jacket, they will want to bring money to purchase one. The cost is less than $10.
- They need a footed skin tone body tight. Capezio is a brand that is sold in many dance stores. It is also available on Amazon.
- Hair and makeup can be done on the bus as long as it is still well done and neat.
- Hair is the same as always unless changed by Mark. Many members put curlers in their hair the night before to save time in the morning.
- Please arrive in full uniform with all of your equipment.