Hello West Bloomfield Marching Band families!
Welcome to the last week of the 2016-17 school year! This is an announcement of the Marching Band mini-camp coming up next week; it will take place June 19-21 at WBHS.
Parents and students with questions can contact:
- Chad Mielens, Director of Bands: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chris Vilag, Assistant Director and Percussion Director: Christopher.email@example.com
- Mark Istratie, Color Guard Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
HORN LINE: For new horn line members, the camps run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; veteran horn line marchers will attend in the afternoon only, from 1p.m. to 4 p.m.
PERCUSSION AND COLOR GUARD: New and veteran percussion and color guard students alike will rehearse each day from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m! Color Guard will also rehearse on Thursday; check the calendar for your rehearsal dates and times. Your instructors will let you know if you need to bring any equipment or supplies in addition to what is listed below.
We have lots of new members this season – welcome to all of you! For our new families, Marching Band is an unfamiliar experience and we hope that this letter will answer your questions regarding the expectations around these rehearsals and will set the tone for the rest of the summer.
Be Early for Rehearsals! The most important rule is “Get there early to be on time!” Students should arrive at the WBHS Band Room at least 15 minutes before rehearsal is scheduled to begin in order to get equipment, get to the right location, and be ready to start on time. In the case of the summer mini-camp, we ask that students arrive no later than 8:45 a.m. (The Band Room entrance is located at the southernmost end of the WBHS building; it is on the opposite side from the football field.)
If your student cannot attend the June or July mini-camps and you have not already contacted Mr. Mielens, please do so as soon as possible!
Students are expected to bring their instruments and/or equipment to every rehearsal! A backpack or string bag is recommended so that students can bring the following every day:
- 1” binder with sheet protectors
- Music (to be provided either as a handout or to be downloaded and printed)
- Reeds (for woodwind players)
- Oil/grease (if applicable)
What to wear at rehearsals:
- Comfortable, closed-toe shoes – preferably tennis shoes. Absorbent socks are strongly encouraged. Students will be on their feet and learning to march for much of the day. Absolutely no sandals or flip flops – the risk of injury is too great!
- Dress for the weather – it is forecasted to be hot and sunny next week. Please dress appropriately for the weather, but be reminded that the WBHS student dress code is in effect even in the summer! A hat is recommended.
- Sunscreen is a must – students will be standing in the sun for long periods of time. Apply sunscreen before rehearsal, and reapply throughout the day.
- WATER BOTTLES! Every student MUST bring a water bottle to all rehearsals. This is especially important during summer practices. Students work very hard and need to keep plenty of fluids in their body.
o Note: Many students prefer the Coleman half-gallon water jug, which is inexpensive, available in several colors and can be purchased at any retailer such as Meijer, Target, Wal-Mart, or any sporting goods store. Students should put their name on their water bottle.
- Sack lunch – students should bring a bagged lunch marked with their name. They will be given approximately an hour lunch break each day. Lunches can be kept in the band room.
- Ankle and Knee Braces (if needed): Because students are marching almost every day, it is recommended for those individuals who have joint problems to wear ankle/knee braces where appropriate. Even if your student is healthy, these are a cheap insurance policy to prevent joint injuries.
Mark Your Calendar:
Drums Alive Fundraiser: Wednesday June 21 in the gym at WBHS. Doors open at 6:15 p.m. Click here for more information and to sign up. Proceeds to benefit our band programs!
The Lodge Fundraiser: Thursday, June 29, all day. Click here to print a flyer. Hand the flyer to your server and the Lodge will donate 20% of your bill to the Band Boosters Association of West Bloomfield!
Car Wash Fundraiser: Saturday, July 15 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. at Holy Spirit Lutheran Church. Tickets are $5 each. Volunteer sign-ups coming soon. New this year: students will have an opportunity to earn points for their student accounts by selling car wash tickets! (3 points for each ticket sold – click here for more information about student accounts). Points add up quickly, and can be used to reduce marching band fees and for other music-related purposes!