West Bloomfield Bands E-Newsletter
April 15th_ April 21st, 2019
Hello, West Bloomfield Band families!
IN THIS ISSUE:
* Congratulations & Thank You!
* Final Winter Program Payment
* April BBAWB Parent Meeting
* John Boruta Scholarship Due 4/22
* 2019 Marching Band Registration
* Spring Swing Fundraiser
* Jazz Band Update
* Thirty-One Fundraiser
* Save the Date!
* This Week’s Schedule
* Ongoing Fundraising
CONGRATULATIONS & THANK YOU
* We are so proud of our Middle School Solo & Ensemble students from Abbott & OLMS! They ALL received Division I (Excellent) ratings this weekend!
* Many congrats to our Winter Percussion Ensemble! They finished their season with a trip to the WGI Percussion World Championship FINALS! They made their way through prelims, semi-finals, and finished in 13th place in the finals competition with a score of 86.538! They were one of 47 groups that started out in prelims! A special congrats to our Graduating Seniors:
I’d like to take a moment, on behalf of the entire BBAWB board, to say thank you to several people involved in the WGI World Championships.
* To Ruth Richards and Marguerite DeBello for setting up and manning the trips for percussion and guard, respectively. They both did such a wonderful job coordinating and implementing the trips and made them enjoyable for both students and parents.
* To the chaperones — Ruth Richards, Marguerite DeBello, and Anne-Marie Collier for percussion; Marguerite DeBello, Shelly Cooper, and Mani Ravindran for guard — your work and dedication sometimes goes unnoticed — but not to us!!! You’re fabulous and these trips would not be successful without all you do.
* The prop crews — led by Scott Peretto and Steve Bologna for percussion and guard, respectively. Your crews kept the shows going and did fantastic jobs moving things along. And the fact that it’s 3-4 days of go-go-go … impressive!
* The drivers — getting the students to Dayton isn’t an easy job, but every one who stepped up and drove deserves a heart-felt thank you!!
* The students. At times it may seem overwhelming, but you represented West Bloomfield, the band program, your parents, and yourselves with pride and honor. And your performances were outstanding!! Great job!!
* The staffs — Chris Vilag, John Webber, Evan Hall, Dominic Tigani, Karson Estep, and Alex Geiger (last-minute addition for finals) for percussion; Matthew Page, Robert Becker, and Alex Geiger for guard. Your passion and dedication leading our students to success never can be overlooked. It’s priceless!!! Thank you so much for everything!!!!
FINAL WINTER PROGRAM PAYMENT
April payments are due on the 15th
Please mail your payment or place it in the black box in the HS band room.
For your convenience, we have added Venmo as a payment method for various band related charges including registration fees, monthly fees, donations, and feed the band contributions. For the parents interested in using this payment method, our Venmo ID is Treasurer-Bbawb. If you have any difficulties locating this ID please e-mail: email@example.com.
Please note: this new payment method is in addition to the existing options: Cash, Checks, Credit Card (Processing Fee Applies), Electronic checks and transfers from individual bank accounts and Paypal (Processing Fee Applies).
If mailing payment, mail to:
Steve and Claudia Bologna
4352 Greenstown Dr.
West Bloomfield, MI 48323
APRIL BBAWB PARENT MEETING
Please join us on Tuesday, April 16th at 7pm in the high school I-center for our monthly parent meeting. See you there!
JOHN BORUTA SCHOLARSHIP
JOHN BORUTA ALUMNI SCHOLARSHIP – APPLICATIONS BEING ACCEPTED
The John Boruta Alumni Scholarship was created for West Bloomfield Marching Band members in need of financial assistance. Since 2013, John has provided more than $5300 to passionate students wanting to be member of the West Bloomfield Marching Band. The deadline to apply is Monday, April 22 and the winner will be announced at our Marching Band Reveal Night on Tuesday, May 14th.
Application information: wbbands.info/john-boruta-scholarship
2019 MARCHING BAND REGISTRATION
We are pleased to announce that Marching Band registration is open for 2019! We are very excited about this season! We hope your student(s) will join this rewarding program!
Marching Band: Registration is open to all students currently in grades 8-11 residing in the West Bloomfield School District who have experience on wind or percussion instruments. It is highly recommended that students be concurrently enrolled in band class, but this requirement can be waived at the director’s discretion. District students who attend International Academy, Oakland Early College or any private or non-profit school without a marching band are welcome to join!
Color Guard: Students who are not in band class and/or who do not play an instrument may join the Color Guard, a visual ensemble that is an essential part of the Marching Band. Some experience in dance is helpful but not required. The dance elements and equipment skills can be taught to interested students.
Online Registration: Click HERE to register online. The online form is designed to cut down on the amount of paperwork; however, there are still forms that will need to be filled out and returned. Once you register online, you will receive a welcome e-mail with links to the additional forms, payment schedule, and more.
The fee for the 2019 Marching Band Season is $925.00, plus $150 fundraising
What’s included in the fee:
- Band Camp, including room/board, travel and entertainment
- “Pride” Marching Band shirt – for members only!
- Invitational entry fees
- In-state competitions, including travel (at least 5 performance opportunities)
- Show composition – music and drill customized for each student
- Music royalties and usage fees
- Instructor salaries for 6 months
Marching Shoes (a/k/a “Dinkles”): $40 per pair. New members must purchase new Dinkles; returning members have the option to purchase replacements. A fitting for shoes will take place during the summer.
Color Guard Shoes: $40 per pair. All Color Guard members must purchase new shoes. A fitting for shoes will take place during the summer.
Paper Registration Packets are also available in all band classes at:
Abbott Middle School, Orchard Lake Middle School and at WBHS
SPRING SWING FUNDRAISER
May 10th is our Annual Spring Swing Fundraiser!
This event will take place at Santia Hall next to Gino’s. Take a look at the sign-up genius to help with the silent auction. Please read the description on the sign-up because donation is a bit different this year!
- Tickets will be $25 per person, $20 for students and seniors. We would like people to purchase tickets ahead of time, so that we can give an idea of a headcount. You can purchase tickets the same way that you pay for the band fees. Please make sure that when you purchase the tickets you put down the name so that we can make sure at the door we check you off.
- More information coming soon on our website!
JAZZ BAND UPDATE
* The Jazz Band will perform at Temple Israel’s Afternoon Concert Series
Tuesday, May 16, 1:30pm – 2:30pm at Temple Israel, 5725 Walnut Lake Rd.
* There will not be any Jazz Band rehearsals from now until Monday, April 29th.
Any questions, please contact Noah Dyer
Shop at Thirty-One during the month of April and 25% of all sales will be donated to the Band Boosters Association of West Bloomfield (BBAWB)
1) Place your order by Friday, April 30th by clicking HERE
2) Choose the party WBBand Fundraiser
3) Please choose DIRECT SHIP to yourself. The order will be processed immediately and shipped to your home to make delivery the easiest
Share with friends and family!
Thank you for supporting our band!
More info –> http://wbbands.info/thirty-one-fundraiser/
SAVE THE DATE!
- BBAWB Parent Meeting – Tuesday, May 7th at 7pm in the HS I-Center
- Instrument Rental Night – Tue, May 7, 6:30pm – 8:00pm at the HS
- Spring Swing Fundraiser, Friday, May 10th
- Marching Band Reveal Night – Tuesday, May 14, 7pm – 8pm at the HS
- West Bloomfield High School Spring Concert, Wednesday, May 22, 2019, 7:00pm WBHS Auditorium
- Abbott Spring Concert – Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 7:00pm – 8:30pm at Abbott
- OLMS Spring Band Concert -Wed, May 29, 2019, 7pm – 8pm at OLMS
- Annual BBAWB Parent Meeting – Tuesday, June 4, 7pm – 8pm in the HS I-Center
- BBAWB Parent Meeting – Tuesday, July 2, 7pm – 8pm in the HS I-Center
- BBAWB Parent Meeting – Tues, August 6, 2019, 7pm – 8pm in the HS I-Center
- Marching Band Camp – Aug 19 – 23, 2019
- October 5th – Fall West Bloomfield Hazardous Waste Day (Tag Day Event)
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE (4/15/19-4/21/19)
The Band Boosters uses Google Calendar. A link to the full calendar can be found on our website at http://wbbands.info/calendar/. To add BBAWB events to your calendar on your computer or smart phone, click on the “+Google Calendar” icon located at the bottom right of the calendar.
Monday, April 15th:
* Winter Ensemble payment due
Tuesday, April 16th:
* BBAWB Parent meeting – 7pm in the HS I-Center
Wednesday, April 17th:
* Have a great day!
Thursday, April 18th :
* Have a great day!
Friday, April 19th:
* No School
Scrips: Earn money for your student account by purchasing scrip! For more information, click here. Scrip Split: 60% to student accounts: 40% to WB Boosters. To sign up and learn more, visit the Great Lakes Scrip website.
Band Merchandise: Show your Laker Pride! Go to wbbands.info/band-merchandise today! A portion of every sale goes to West Bloomfield Bands.
Amazon Smile: EARN MONEY FOR WEST BLOOMFIELD BANDS WITH SMILE.AMAZON.COM. This is an easy way to get classroom texts or holiday gifts with Amazon’s convenience and competitive prices AND support the bands, at no extra cost to you! To get started: click HERE to register.