West Bloomfield Bands E-Newsletter: Week of August 13-19, 2017
Hello West Bloomfield Marching Band families!
This week, we have our first “real” full week (Monday through Friday) of rehearsals (see the calendar update below). There is a lot of information in this week’s newsletter; please read it thoroughly.
BAND CAMP INFORMATION
Next week (August 21-25) is Band Camp! All of our marching band families should have received an e-mail from our band camp coordinator, Ruth Richards, with important, detailed information about this year’s band camp. If you have not received this e-mail, please notify us at email@example.com at your earliest convenience.
Please be reminded: In order for your student to participate in band camp, the following must be turned in:
- Signed General Liability Release Form. The form is available for download here. Reminders will go out to families who have not yet turned these forms in.
- Completed physical and medication forms. Reminders will go out to families who have not yet turned these forms in. If you have questions about the physical or medication forms, please contact our band camp nurse, Anne Marie Collier-Miller, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Payments must be up to date. The August marching band payment is due on Tuesday August 15. Please continue to turn in your monthly payments to Carmen & Ruben Luna. We are still transitioning to our new Treasurer. Please place payments in the band mailbox in the band room or mail payments to: Carmen & Ruben Luna: 3581 Woodview, West Bloomfield, MI 48324 If you have concerns about making your payments, you are urged to contact email@example.com.
Packing List: The band camp information sheet and packing list can be found here. The packing list is the result of many years of accumulated experience with band camp; it is highly recommended that you read it and pack accordingly!
Saturday Post-Band Camp Performance: On Saturday August 26, there will be a short rehearsal followed by a “friends and family” performance. Immediately after the performance there will be a BBQ lunch. For a nominal amount, students, friends and family members who attend the performance can purchase a hamburger, hot dog, chips and a drink. Any proceeds from this event will help build a new scholarship fund (to be awarded during the 2018-2019 performance seasons).
Attendance at rehearsals has been great! During August, students will be learning new material and drill every day, which means attendance is critical. With that said, the below reminders are worth repeating…
Plan on dropping your student off at the band room no later than 8:45 am – at least 15 minutes prior to the start of rehearsal (“be early to be on time!”). This will allow your student enough time to put together his or her instrument and report to the rehearsal area.
- Water is mandatory – please send your student to rehearsal with a large water bottle and encourage him or her to refill as needed!
- Sack lunch – students may not leave campus for lunch. Lunches can be kept in the band room.
- Comfortable, close-toed shoes are a must – please, no sandals or flip flops!
- Sunscreen – even when it is overcast, there is a risk of sunburn if your student is outside. Please encourage your student to apply sunscreen in the morning, and re-apply throughout the day.
If you need to contact your student’s director, their information is below:
- Director of Bands: Chad Mielens firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistant Director & Percussion Director: Chris Vilag Christopher.email@example.com
- Color Guard Director: Mark Istratie firstname.lastname@example.org
Because of band camp, WHBS students will miss Jump Start week and Freshman Day. All students can make up their Jump Start days on Monday, August 28 from 7:00 a.m. to noon. The West Bloomfield School District has e-mailed its August 2017 newsletter Insights, which has a lot of information on Jump Start. It can be found here. (Monday’s marching band rehearsal is from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m.)
OTHER IMPORTANT NEWS AND REMINDERS!
Solar Eclipse: You have probably heard that there is going to be a solar eclipse during the afternoon block of band camp, on Monday, August 21. In the part of Michigan where band camp is located, the moon is expected to block about 81% of the sun’s light. We have heard from parents who are concerned about their students’ eye health during this event. According to experts, one of the safest ways to view the eclipse is with a pinhole projector. If you would like to build one for your student (they are easy to make), you can find instructions here or via your favorite search engine. If you are positive your student will try to look directly at the eclipse and would like to purchase a solar viewer for your student, a link to reputable vendors of solar filters and viewers can be found here.
Dinkles: Students will be fitted for marching band shoes (a/k/a “Dinkles”) at band camp. Dinkles are a required part of the marching band uniform. We cannot accept substitutes. New students are expected to purchase new Dinkles, as well as veteran students who have outgrown or damaged theirs. Dinkles cost $40 a pair. Veteran students, please locate and try on your Dinkles! If they still fit, let Mrs. Long know at band camp.
Show Shirts: Look for show shirt order forms, coming soon!
Scrips: We have set a goal of doubling the participation in the scrip program – this is a great way to accumulate points in your student’s account! Please visit the Shop With Scrip website: www.shopwithscrip.com. To join, click on “Register,” then “Join a Scrip Program.” The enrollment code for Band Boosters of West Bloomfield is: 18L5CFD5612L. (This code is case sensitive; type it exactly as you see it here.) You will be directed to create an account. From start to finish, enrollment and setting up an account takes a couple of business days. After that, ordering is a breeze. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Car Wash: The car wash on Saturday was a success! Thank you to all students and parents who volunteered, sold tickets and donated supplies, snacks and water for both car washes!
Mark Your Calendar!
Marching Band Scholarships: There is a limited amount of financial aid available for families in need. It is not too late, but hurry – the deadline is tomorrow, Monday August 14, 2017! Download the financial aid form here.
Friday, August 18: Band at the Beach for marching band parents! 6:00 – 8:00 p.m., at 6925 Dandison Court, West Bloomfield. Sign-Up Genius coming soon!
Extended! Marching Band T-shirt ads due date The due date for ads for both the show shirts and field day programs has been extended – a hard due date will be announced – so get out there and sell those ads! This is a great way to earn points for your student’s account! Ad sales are split 50/50 between student accounts and the general fund. To download the t-shirt and program ad form, click here.
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE (August 14-19)
The Band Boosters uses Google Calendar. A link to the full calendar can be found on our website. To add BBAWB events to your calendar on your computer or smart phone, click on the “+Google Calendar” icon located at the bottom right of the calendar.
- Monday Aug. 14: Full Marching Band Rehearsal 9am – 4pm at WBHS
- Tuesday Aug. 15: Full Marching Band Rehearsal – 9am – 4pm at WBHS
- Tuesday Aug 15: Marching Band payment due
- Wednesday Aug. 16: Full Marching Band Rehearsal 9am – 4pm
- Thursday Aug 17: Full Marching Band Rehearsal 9am – 4pm at WBHS
- Friday Aug 18: Full Marching Band Rehearsal 9am – 4pm at WBHS
- Friday Aug 18: Band at the Beach, Parent Edition 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. at 6925 Dandison Court
- Saturday Aug. 19: Enjoy your weekend!
Scrips: Earn money for your student account by purchasing scrip! For more information, click here. Scrip Split: 60% to student accounts: 40% to WB Boosters. To sign up and learn more, visit the Great Lakes Scrip website.
Band Merchandise: Show your Laker Pride! Go to wbbands.info/band-merchandise today! A portion of every sale goes to West Bloomfield Bands.
Amazon Smile: EARN MONEY FOR WEST BLOOMFIELD BANDS WITH SMILE.AMAZON.COM. This is an easy way to get classroom texts or holiday gifts with Amazon’s convenience and competitive prices AND support the bands, at no extra cost to you! To get started: click HERE to register.
CONNECT WITH US
Like us on Facebook: West Bloomfield Bands
Follow us on Instagram: wbbands
Follow us on Twitter: @WB_Bands