West Bloomfield Bands E-Newsletter: Week of August 6-12, 2017
Hello West Bloomfield Marching Band families!
August is here, and the Marching Band season is ramping up! It is hard to believe that in a few short weeks the band will be taking the field at the first home football game! This week we have full band rehearsals (see the calendar update below). As with the mini-camps earlier this summer, please keep the following in mind:
- Plan on dropping your student off at the band room no later than 8:45 am – at least 15 minutes prior to the start of rehearsal (“be early to be on time!”). This will allow your student enough time to put together his or her instrument and report to the rehearsal area.
- Water is mandatory – please send your student to rehearsal with a large water bottle!
- Sack lunch – students may not leave campus for lunch. Lunches can be kept in the band room.
- Comfortable shoes are a must – please, no sandals or flip flops!
- Sunscreen – even when it is overcast, there is a risk of sunburn if your student is outside. Please encourage your student to apply sunscreen in the morning, and re-apply throughout the day.
If you need to contact your student’s director, their information is below:
- Director of Bands: Chad Mielens firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistant Director & Percussion Director: Chris Vilag Christopher.email@example.com
- Color Guard Director: Mark Istratie firstname.lastname@example.org
BAND CAMP INFORMATION
Band Camp is the week of August 21-25. Parents will learn what to expect at band camp at the parent meeting on Tuesday, August 8. All parents are strongly encouraged to attend! A detailed itinerary will be released soon. Meanwhile, a packing list can be found here. The camp requires a signed General Liability Release. If you have not yet turned one in, it can be found here.
Mark Your Calendar!
Tuesday, August 8: BBAWB Parent Meeting: 7:00 p.m., iCenter, WBHS – this meeting is crucial for new families! Here, you will hear from Director of Bands, Chad Mielens about the progress of the marching band season, what to expect at band camp, expectations around football games and competitions, and much more. You will also meet the BBAWB board of directors for the 2017-2018 fiscal year and learn about upcoming events, fundraisers and volunteer sign-ups.
For parents who would like to learn more about the Scrip Program, BBAWB Vice President Christine Karow will be in the iCenter from 6:15 p.m. until the parent meeting starts to help explain the program and the sign-up process.
Wednesday, August 9: Band at the Beach for the full Marching Band, hosted by Carmen and Ruben Luna! Learn more here: http://wbbands.info/band-at-the-beach/
Friday, August 11: Marching Band T-shirt ads due. This is a great way to earn points for your student’s account! Ad sales are split 50/50 between student accounts and the general fund. To download the t-shirt and program ad form, click here.
Saturday, August 12: August Car Wash Fundraiser: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at West Bloomfield United Methodist Church located at 4100 Walnut Lake Rd. Sign-ups are going well, but more students and adults are needed for the later shifts. Color Guard is really needed to attend to attract attention. Keep on selling those tickets! Your student(s) will earn (3) points toward their student accounts for each ticket sold. Points add up quickly and can be used to reduce marching band fees and other music-related purposes! Sign-Up Genius is located here. Learn more about student accounts here. For more information or tickets, contact car wash chairperson Anne Marie Collier-Miller at email@example.com.
Tuesday, August 15: Marching Band Payment due. Please continue to turn in your monthly payments to Carmen & Ruben Luna. We are still transitioning to our new Treasurer. Please place payments in the band mailbox in the band room or mail payments to: Carmen & Ruben Luna: 3581 Woodview, West Bloomfield, MI 48324
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE (August 7 – 12)
The Band Boosters uses Google Calendar. A link to the full calendar can be found on our website. To add BBAWB events to your calendar on your computer or smart phone, click on the “+Google Calendar” icon located at the bottom right of the calendar.
- Monday Aug. 7: Full Marching Band Rehearsal 9am – 4pm at WBHS
- Tuesday Aug. 8: Full Marching Band Rehearsal – 9am – 4pm at WBHS
- Tuesday Aug 8: Scrip Program Q & A – 6:15 pm – 7:00 pm, iCenter at WBHS (precedes parent meeting)
- Tuesday Aug 8: BBAWB Parent Meeting – 7:00 pm, iCenter at WBHS
- Wednesday Aug. 9: Full Marching Band Rehearsal 9am – 4pm
- Wednesday Aug 9: Band at the Beach for all Marching Band members, 6925 Dandison Court, 5-8pm
- Thursday Aug 10: Color Guard Rehearsal – 9am-4pm at WBHS
- Thursday Aug 10: DCI Big, Loud & Live – live broadcast of the DCI World Championships (click here for theater times/locations)
- Friday Aug 11: Off – enjoy!
- Saturday Aug. 12: Car Wash 10am-4pm – see update above for information on location and sign-ups
Scrips: Earn money for your student account by purchasing scrip! For more information, click here. Scrip Split: 60% to student accounts: 40% to WB Boosters. To sign up and learn more, visit the Great Lakes Scrip website.
Band Merchandise: Show your Laker Pride! Go to wbbands.info/band-merchandise today! A portion of every sale goes to West Bloomfield Bands.
Amazon Smile: EARN MONEY FOR WEST BLOOMFIELD BANDS WITH SMILE.AMAZON.COM. This is an easy way to get classroom texts or holiday gifts with Amazon’s convenience and competitive prices AND support the bands, at no extra cost to you! To get started: click HERE to register.
CONNECT WITH US
Like us on Facebook: West Bloomfield Bands
Follow us on Instagram: wbbands
Follow us on Twitter: @WB_Bands