West Bloomfield Bands Newsletter – Week of August 10, 2014
Dear Band Family,
It was a great week, followed by a great weekend. This band is really coming together! Movement one is on the field, and the second movement is close behind. Monday begins another full week of practice, then off to band camp the following week. Make sure you have joined the Official West Bloomfield Marching Band Facebook page. You can see our progress in videos posted there.
- Thank you to Ruth Richards and Rene Wisely for coordinating a fantastic Tag Day weekend;
- The date of our season–end Band Banquet date has changed to Monday, November 10. Mark your calendars.
- Make sure all paperwork in before band camp, especially OTC Medical permission and parent contact info.
- Reminder, if your band fees are not paid in full at this time, please contact the BBAWB President Mary Ingweiller or Treasurer Claudia Bologna to set up a payment plan. If we have not heard from you, your child WILL NOT be permitted on the bus to band camp.
Go Lakers! Be your Best!
Director of Bands, West Bloomfield High School
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (next 2 weeks)
Monday, 8/11: Marching Band Rehearsal (Full Band) 9am – 4pm
Monday, 8/11: Uniform fitting, 10am – 2pm Bring uniforms stored at home and order forms for new shoes
Tuesday, 8/12: Marching Band Rehearsal (Full Band) 9am – 4pm
Wednesday, 8/13: Marching Band Rehearsal (Full Band) 9am – 4pm
Thursday, 8/14: Marching Band Rehearsal (Full Band) 9am – 4pm
Friday, 8/15: Marching Band Rehearsal (Full Band) 9am – 4pm
Friday, 8/15: Bingo, come on out and play or volunteer to work a shift and earn $30! Click HERE for more information.
Monday, 8/18: Band Camp starts. Arrive at WBHS at 6:30am, leave for Camp Copneconic at 7:00am. See Itinerary
Tuesday, 8/19: Band Camp. See Itinerary
Wednesday, 8/20: Band Camp. Senior Dinner and Ceremony. See Itinerary
Thursday, 8/21: Band Camp. Dance. Bring $5 for pizza
Friday, 8/22: Bingo, volunteer to work a shift and earn $30! Click HERE for more information.
Friday, 8/22: Band Camp. See Itinerary. Performance at 8p. Parents must pick up or arrange alternate rides.
Thank you to all of the wonderful students and parents that participated in Tag Day this past weekend. We are still totally the donations but it is close to $3,000.00. Great job to all!! We received many wonderful comments from people. If you have any photos from the weekend please post them on Facebook. We would love to see them!
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED TO HELP WITH UNIFORM FITTING
Uniform fitting for marching band members will take place Monday, August 11 from 10-2. If you are available to volunteer please come to the Orchestra Room (across the hall from the band room.) We will be fitting all marching band members with jackets, bibs (pants), gauntlets (cuffs), Shakos (hats), gloves and Dinkles (shoes). Christine Long will be placing the Dinkle order later this week and will include orders for anyone who has submitted their $35 check. For returning band members who are counting on re-using last year’s shoes, please make sure that you have “eyes on” your shoes and try them on now to insure that they still fit. Don’t count on them being where you left them in the band room or mezzanine. The Band Boosters have done some tremendous work cleaning and organizing the band areas and that may have included donating or trashing some of the stray shoes and gloves left over from last season. Also for returning members, if you still have your uniform from last year, please bring it to the uniform fitting Monday so we can keep track of who still needs uniforms. Shoe order form can be found HERE.
PIT CREW PARENTS NEEDED!
During the Marching Band season, parents help with loading and unloading instruments and props from our semi-truck, and getting these essential pieces onto the field before a performance. Crew Chief Brett Crawford is looking for volunteers who are interested in helping or have questions about what it entails. Please email Brett at email@example.com. Bonus: Pit crew members get free admission to the shows, and can view the performance from the track surrounding the field. You can’t get any close to the excitement without an instrument or flag!
Here are a few reminders for summer rehearsals:
– we will be outside so come prepared with sunscreen, a JUG of water, running shoes, snacks, athletic clothing, sun glasses, hats and ear plugs (battery only).
– bring a folder or binder with clear sheets to organize your music
– bring 2 pencils so that you can make notes in your music
– for the full day rehearsals, bring a lunch or have arrangements made to have one delivered
– if you took an instrument home…be sure to bring it back!
– please show up no later than 8:50am so that we can get started right at 9am.
Arrive for practice no later than 8:45am (practice will begin at 9am)
Lunch 12-1 (remember no one can leave campus during practice so bring your lunch or have arrangements made to have one delivered)
Items to wear
School appropriate attire
– no spaghetti top tank tops (width of strap must be 2-3 finger lengths)
– midriffs must be covered
– shorts must come to the tip of your fingers
– shirts must be worn
– shorts must be worn at your waist
– socks and athletic shoes (no flip flops)
Items to bring
– a good attitude
– water jug at least 2 quarts large (water bottles will not get them through the day)
– lunch (there is no refrigeration so bring it in a cooler or prepare something that can be out in the heat all day)
– SUNSCREEN (please come wearing sunscreen however you will need to reapply during the day)
Remember personal items will not be secured (everyone leaves items in their backpack either in the band room or on the sidelines of the field WBHS and BBAWB are not responsible for lost or stolen items
MARCHING BAND HANDBOOK
The Marching Band handbook was emailed out last week. Click HERE if you did not receive the email or see the handbook.
WEST BLOOMFIELD BANDS WISH LIST
West Bloomfield Bands depends on the support of parents and alumni. The list below shows items/services that West Bloomfield Bands needs to operate as well as some items that would greatly benefit our programs. Contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can donate any of the items/services listed (new or used)
Wireless Microphones (soloist) – $2,000
Painting of Truck – $1500
Sabres for Guard (7X) – $1050
New Wheels for Carts/Synth – $320
New Wireless Metronome – $250
Tires for truck (2) – $1000
Fix/Paint Scissors Lift – $700
UPS for Audio Equipment – $600
New Wheeled Base for Pit Drummer – $500
Shelves for Band Instruments – $5,000 Completed!
New Audio Equipment (Pit) – $2,000
Guard Room Updates – $500
Marching Band Uniforms/Shakos – $72,000
Drumline Room Updates – $500
EARN MONEY FOR WEST BLOOMFIELD BANDS WITH SMILE.AMAZON.COM
Still need to get those summer reading books? Amazon has them, can get them to you quickly, AND donates a portion of your purchase to the band! To get started: click HERE to register. Every time you shop, go to smile.amazon.com
KROGER CARD FUNDRAISING
If you are already a member of the Kroger Community Rewards program….make sure Band Boosters Association of West Bloomfield is your registered group.Click HERE to get started today!
If you are not yet a member, click HERE for instructions and links on how to join. Our “Organization Name” is “Band Boosters Association of West Bloomfield”
Show your Laker Pride! Go to wbbands.info/band-merchandise today! A portion of every sale goes to West Bloomfield Bands.
Go to wbbands.info/fundraising/scrip-program/ and order SCRIP (gift cards). By doing so, you make money for the band and for your student’s account!
Come on out on Friday evening to support WB Bands and play BINGO!
We also need volunteers! For every Friday you volunteer, you earn $30! The July Signups are up on the website. Click on the following link to sign up for a shift or two —–> wbbands.info/bingo
“Like Us” at “West Bloomfield Bands” facebook.com/wbbands
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
August 11: Uniform Fittings
August 18 – 22: Band Camp.
August 22: First performance of Rise and Fall, 8pm at Camp Copneconic.
– Next BOARD MEETING is Tuesday, August 12, 7pm, WBHS
– Next PARENT MEETING is Tuesday, September 2, WBHS