Dear Band Family,
It was a great week, followed by what I hope was a restful weekend. This band is really coming together! Movement one is on the field, and the second movement is close behind. Monday begins another full week of practice, then off to band camp the following week. Make sure you have joined the Official West Bloomfield Marching Band Facebook page. You never know what photos or videos will be posted there.
- Make sure all paperwork in before band camp, especially OTC Medical permission and parent contact info.
- Reminder, if your band fees are not paid in full at this time, please contact the BBAWB Treasurers Claudia and Steve Bologna to set up a payment plan. If we have not heard from you, your child WILL NOT be permitted on the bus to band camp.
Go Lakers! Be your Best!
Director of Bands, West Bloomfield High School
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (next 2 weeks)
Monday, 8/10: Marching Band Rehearsal – Superhero Day 9am – 4pm
Monday, 8/10: Uniform fitting, 9am – 12pm. Bring any uniforms stored at home and order forms /payment for new shoes
Tuesday, 8/11: Marching Band Rehearsal – Beach Day – 9am – 4pm
Tuesday, 8/11: BBAWB Board Meeting 7pm
Wednesday, 8/12: Marching Band Rehearsal – We Wear Pink Day – 9am – 4pm
Thursday, 8/13: Marching Band Rehearsal – Section Unity Day – 9am – 4pm
Friday, 8/14: Marching Band Rehearsal – Laker Pride Day (Green and White) – 9am – 4pm
Saturday, 8/15: Tag Day at three Kroger locations, 9am – 5pm
Sunday, 8/16: Tag Day at three Kroger locations, 9am -5pm
Sunday, 8/16: Prepare for Band Camp. See Packing list.
Monday, 8/17: Band Camp starts. Arrive at WBHS at 6:30am, leave for Camp Tamarack at 7:00am. See Itinerary
Tuesday, 8/18: Band Camp. See Itinerary
Wednesday, 8/19: Band Camp. Senior Dinner and Ceremony. See Itinerary
Thursday, 8/20: Band Camp. Dance. Bring $5 for pizza
Friday, 8/21: Band Camp. See Itinerary. Performance at 8pm at 4361 Perryville Road, Ortonville, MI 48462. Parents must pick up or arrange alternate rides.
Tag Day(s) will be held this Saturday, August 15th from 9am to 5pm; and Sunday, August 16th from 9am to 5pm. All students MUST sign up for a shift. There must be at least one parent volunteer per shift. Please see the Sign Up Genius site for more information. If you have any questions, email Ruth Richards. Click HERE to sign up for one or more shifts. There are several slots still open. Last year we raised nearly $3000 during our August Tag Day Weekend!
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED TO HELP WITH UNIFORM FITTING
Uniform fitting for marching band members will take place Monday, August 10 from 9-12. If you are available to volunteer please come to the Orchestra Room (across the hall from the band room.) We will be fitting all marching band members with jackets, bibs (pants), gauntlets (cuffs), Shakos (hats), gloves and Dinkles (shoes). Marguerite DeBello will be placing the Dinkle order later this week and will include orders for anyone who has submitted their $35 check. For returning band members who are counting on re-using last year’s shoes, please make sure that you have “eyes on” your shoes and try them on now to insure that they still fit. Don’t count on them being where you left them in the band room or mezzanine. The Band Boosters have done some tremendous work cleaning and organizing the band areas and that may have included donating or trashing some of the stray shoes and gloves left over from last season. Also for returning members, if you still have your uniform from last year, please bring it to the uniform fitting Monday so we can keep track of who still needs uniforms. Shoe order form can be found HERE.
Band Camp Bus Chaperones Needed:
We are looking for 2 to 4 parents who can ride with students on the buses to Tamarack at 6:30 am on Monday August 17, and then return to WBHS mid-morning that day on the empty busses. It’s a pretty easy gig, students are generally very quiet on this early morning ride. Please email band camp coordinator Ruth Richards if you are interested
PIT CREW PARENTS NEEDED!
During the Marching Band season, parents help with loading and unloading instruments and props from our semi-truck, and getting these essential pieces onto the field before a performance. Crew Chief Brett Crawford is looking for volunteers who are interested in helping or have questions about what it entails. Please email Brett at email@example.com. Bonus: Pit crew members get free admission to the shows, and can view the performance from the track surrounding the field. You can’t get any close to the excitement without an instrument or flag!
Here are a few reminders for summer rehearsals:
– we will be outside so come prepared with sunscreen, a JUG of water, running shoes, snacks, athletic clothing, sun glasses, hats and ear plugs (battery only).
– bring a folder or binder with clear sheets to organize your music
– bring 2 pencils so that you can make notes in your music
– for the full day rehearsals, bring a lunch or have arrangements made to have one delivered
– if you took an instrument home…be sure to bring it back!
Arrive for practice no later than 8:45am (practice will begin at 9am)
Lunch 12-1 (remember no one can leave campus during practice so bring your lunch or have arrangements made to have one delivered)
Items to wear
School appropriate attire
– No spaghetti top tank tops (width of strap must be 2-3 fingers)
– Midriffs must be covered
– Shorts must come to the tip of your fingers
– Shirts must be worn
– Shorts must be worn at your waist
– Socks and athletic shoes (no flip flops)
Items to bring
– a good attitude
– water jug at least 2 quarts large (water bottles will not get them through the day)
– lunch (there is no refrigeration so bring it in a cooler or prepare something that can be out in the heat all day)
– SUNSCREEN (please come wearing sunscreen however you will need to reapply during the day)
Remember personal items will not be secured (everyone leaves items in their backpack either in the band room or on the sidelines of the field. WBHS and BBAWB are not responsible for lost or stolen items
MARCHING BAND HANDBOOK
Questions about Marching Band? A comprehensive Marching Band handbook is available to bring you up to speed. Click HERE to download the handbook.
WEST BLOOMFIELD BANDS WISH LIST
West Bloomfield Bands depends on the support of parents and alumni. The list below shows items/services that West Bloomfield Bands needs to operate as well as some items that would greatly benefit our programs. Contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can donate any of the items/services listed (new or used)
- Wireless Microphones (soloist) – $2,000
- Painting of Truck – $1500
- New Wheels for Carts/Synth – $320
- Tires for truck (2) – $1000
- Fix/Paint Scissors Lift – $700
- UPS for Audio Equipment – $600
- New Wheeled Base for Pit Drummer – $500
- New Audio Equipment (Pit) – $2,000
- Guard Room Updates – $500
- Marching Band Uniforms/Shakos – $72,000
- Drumline Room Updates – $500
EARN MONEY FOR WEST BLOOMFIELD BANDS WITH SMILE.AMAZON.COM
Still need to get those summer reading books? Amazon has them, can get them to you quickly, AND donates a portion of your purchase to the band! To get started: click HERE to register. Every time you shop, go to smile.amazon.com
KROGER CARD FUNDRAISING
If you are already a member of the Kroger Community Rewards program….make sure Band Boosters Association of West Bloomfield is your registered group. Click HERE to get started today!
If you are not yet a member, click HERE for instructions and links on how to join. Our “Organization Name” is “Band Boosters Association of West Bloomfield”
Show your Laker Pride! Go to wbbands.info/band-merchandise today! A portion of every sale goes to West Bloomfield Bands.
Go to wbbands.info/fundraising/scrip-program/ and order SCRIP (gift cards). By doing so, you make money for the band and for your student’s account! At least six families have signed up since last week’s parent meetings. Remember, during Marching Band season, 100% of the profit on scrip cards goes to the student’s points account. This eas an easy way to earn points by shopping just as you already need to do!
“Like Us” at “West Bloomfield Bands” facebook.com/wbbands
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
August 10: Uniform Fittings
August 17 – 21: Band Camp.
August 21: First performance of Venezia, 8pm at Camp Tamarack.
- – Next BOARD MEETING is Tuesday, August 11, 7pm, Location TBA
- – Next PARENT MEETING is Tuesday, September 1, WBHS