Dear Band, Color Guard and Percussion Members and Families,
· Congratulations to the Abbott Symphony Band and OLMS Symphony Band for their success at band festival this year. The OLMS Band received did exceptionally well in their sight-reading portion and earned a “II” rating overall. Abbott’s band excelled in their performance before the judges and earned a first division rating, a “I” overall at Festival.
· Congratulations to the Varsity Guard on their fantastic performance on Saturday at the WGI Regional Competition in Grand Blanc. 21 guards from Michigan, Ohio and Illinois competed in the Scholastic A division. West Bloomfield Varsity Guard finished in 13th place with a score of 70.26. Way to go!
· Congratulations to our competitors in the Color Guard Solo & Ensemble competition last week. Lily Brenner took first place in the Rifle category, and Alisibeth Watkins-Miller was awarded second place in Flag.
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (next 2 weeks)
Monday 3/14: Varsity Winter Guard 5:00pm
Tuesday 3/15: Middle School Percussion 4:00pm
Tuesday 3/15: JV Winter Guard 5:00pm
Tuesday 3/15: West Bloomfield Percussion 5:00pm
Wednesday 3/16: HS Jazz Band 2:30pm
Wednesday 3/16: West Bloomfield Percussion 5:00pm
Wednesday 3/16: Varsity Guard Sectional (Voluntary) 6pm
Thursday 3/17: Middle School Percussion 4:00pm
Thursday 3/17: West Bloomfield Percussion 5:00pm
Thursday 3/17: JV Winter Guard 5:00pm
Friday 3/18: Varsity Winter Guard 6:00pm
Saturday 3/19: High School State Solo & Ensemble
Saturday 3/19: Varsity & JV Winter Guard MCGC Show – Lakeland
Saturday 3/19: Winter Percussion MCGC Show – Lakeland
Sunday 3/20: Varsity Winter Guard MCGC Show – Chippewa Valley
Monday 3/21: Varsity Winter Guard 5:00pm
Tuesday 3/22: Middle School Percussion 4:00pm
Tuesday 3/22: JV Winter Guard 5:00pm
Tuesday 3/22: West Bloomfield Percussion 5:00pm
Wednesday 3/23: Percussion and Guard Recruiting Trip to OLMS
Wednesday 3/23: HS Jazz Band 2:30pm
Wednesday 3/23: West Bloomfield Percussion 5:00pm
Wednesday 3/23: Varsity Guard Sectional (Voluntary) 6pm
Thursday 3/24: Middle School Percussion 4:00pm
Thursday 3/24: West Bloomfield Percussion 5:00pm
Thursday 3/24: JV Winter Guard 5:00pm
Friday 3/25: NO SCHOOL
Saturday 3/26: Winter Percussion Rehearsal 9:00am
Early Registration for 2016 Marching Band and Color Guard is OPEN!
See the attached flyer for info about the program, or email Mr. Mielens (email@example.com) with questions. Band directors have registration packets with full details on rates and payment schedules. Families who register by April 11 (ahead of Reveal Night April 12) will receive $50 OFF their students’ Marching Band fee.
IMPORTANT NOTICE FROM YOUR TREASURERS
1. All Winter Percussion and Winter Guard fees are due in full this Tuesday, March 15th. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you don’t know your balance or have any questions.
2. Students may not register for marching band if they have outstanding fees from past Marching Band or Winter Ensemble (Percussion and Guard) seasons.
JOHN BORUTA ALUMNI SCHOLARSHIP
Applications for the John Boruta Alumni Marching Band Scholarship are now being accepted through Monday, March 28, 2016. This scholarship will provide a worthy student a positively life-changing experience through participation in the West Bloomfield Marching Band program.
MARCH RESTAURANT NIGHT
Hey everyone, our March restaurant night is on the calendar! March 23, at Applebee’s on Haggerty in Commerce Twp! Show the flyer attached to this email and 10% of your purchases will go to your WB Bands! Bonus: Applebee’s has scrip – double dip for an 8% rebate! Invite your friends!
Did you know the money you earn from buying scrip can be used toward all kinds of band and music fees – Middle School trip to Cedar Point, Marching Band, Winter Percussion, Winter Guard, Solo & Ensemble fees, reeds, mouthpieces, music. With just the small effort to buy and use scrip to pay for shopping or dining you are doing anyway, you are earning discounts or freebies on these other music expenses. Every purchase brings a rebate, and 60% goes to the to student’s points account, while 40% goes toward instruments, sectional instruction, music program scholarships, equipment purchase, and other initiatives supported by the Band Boosters. Go to wbbands.info/fundraising/scrip-program/ and order SCRIP (gift cards). If you have any questions about scrip purchases, why and how it benefits the band and your student account, and why the ‘small contributions’ that come from them are worth the effort please contact Marci Grossman. Of course, if you don’t want to buy scrip, you can always just make a donation to the band. The benefits of being a 501(c)3: A donation is tax deductible.
YANKEE CANDLE SPRING SALE
Winter Guard and Winter Percussion are set up with Yankee Candle to participate in the Spring Sale during the first two weeks in April. The sale packets will be distributed soon, but in the mean time; online shopping is available now through July 31.
Our seller # is 990077510
Online orders are sent directly to the purchaser, usually in about a week. It’s a great option! Take a look, there are many nice items for Easter and Mother’s Day. A parent volunteer is needed to assist fundraising coordinator Sarah Boyle. Interested? Any other questions? Email Sarah Boyle.
Celebrate the 111th day of the year Spring on April 20 with frozen yogurt at Menchies (Hunter Square near B-Dubs). 20% of our purchased will be donated to the band!
HARD ROCK CAFE
We are excited to announce that the WBHS Jazz Band will be performing at the Hard Rock Cafe in Detroit on Sunday, May 15 from 4pm – 6pm. Mark your calendar!
Show your Laker Pride! Go to wbbands.info/band-merchandise today! A portion of every sale goes to West Bloomfield Bands.
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
March 23 – Band Fundraiser at Applebee’s, Haggerty Rd in Commerce Twp.
March 31 – Winter Percussion and Guard Friends & Family Show
April 12 – Marching Band Reveal Night!
April 20 – Band Fundraiser at Menchies
May 15 – Jazz Band at Hard Rock Café
May 20 – Spring Fundraiser / Silent Auction
May 21 – OLMS and Abbott Cedar Point Trip
May 30 – Keego Harbor Memorial Day Parade
· Next BOARD MEETING is Tuesday, March 15, WBHS
· Next PARENT MEETING is Tuesday, April 12, 7pm, WBHS