West Bloomfield Bands Newsletter – Week of May 19, 2013
BARNES AND NOBLE BOOK FAIR is TODAY!
Here’s a fantastic way to purchase your Father’s Day, Graduation and Teacher Gifts and raise money for West Bloomfield Bands! The school summer reading lists will be at the store! Shop at Barnes and Noble TODAY and present a voucher to the cashier when you make your purchases.
Come on out to the store from 5:30pm – 8:30pm this evening
to be entertained by West Bloomfield Band musicians.
Shop in-store: Monday, May 20 (all day), Barnes & Noble, West Bloomfield
Shop on-line: Monday, May 20 – Sunday, May 26 (voucher #: 11095361)
Click HERE to print a voucher and get more information.
ST. MARY’S FAIR PARKING FUNDRAISER
We were just given this opportunity last Friday and need your help in making some money for our band program! This weekend, we will be selling parking spaces for the St. Mary’s Fair at Abbott Middle School. You just have to take money and show people where to park. Click HERE to see the shift schedule and sign up today!
When: Friday, May 24 – Monday, May 27
Time: shifts vary from 10am – 11pm
Where: Abbott Middle School
(Another) CAN & BOTTLE DRIVE THIS WEEK!
Please help raise money for WB Bands by bringing your redeemable cans and bottles to Abbott and OLMS Middle School Band Concerts on Thursday, 5/23. We will be collecting redeemable bottles and cans at the front entrance of each school from 6:15pm – 7:15pm (concert begins at 7pm). Even if you are not attending the concert, we will take your bottles and cans! Tell your friends, family, co-workers and neighbors!! Thank you for your support!
When: Thursday, May 23
Time: 6:15pm – 7:15pm
Where: 2 locations! (Orchard Lake Middle School & Abbott Middle School)
A special thank you to everyone who brought their bottles and cans to the high school last Thursday. We appreciate you!
Congratulations to the Symphony Bands from Abbott and Orchard Lake Middle Schools for placing 1st in the Music in the Parks Festival on Saturday! They finished first place in Class AA.and finished second overall for middle school band at the festival. Photos from the festival have been posted at facebook.com/wbbands.
We will be selling Hungry Howies coupons for a medium 1-topping pizza on Thursday at the Middle School band concerts. Stop by the Band Boosters table at the middle school concerts on Thursday to pick up your order form. More information will be up on the website very soon!
is still open for marching band!! If you did not receive a green folder/registration papers, see Mr. Mielens or Mr. Stein OR go to wbbands.info/join-us
and fill out the online request form and we will get the green folder/registration papers to you!
– Once you have the paperwork filled out, turn it in to Mr. Mielens or Mr. Stein OR place the papers in a special box (marked “Marching Band Registration”) in the WBHS band room.
– If you have not yet registered. JOIN US!
We have a fantastic marching band season planned and WE NEED YOU to make it the best season ever! Go to wbbands.info to sign up!
– Marching Band Percussion and Color Guard rehearsals/auditions continue this week on Tuesday and Thursday from 5-7pm
– PHYSICALS: a physical is required for marching band and you may want to take advantage of getting the physical right at WBHS! Physicals will be Wednesday, May 29 beginning at 2:30 pm. Physicals are performed by family practitioners and orthopedic/sports medicine doctors from Henry Ford Health System. Cost is $20. Current sport physicals are required to tryout and participate in any West Bloomfield High School sport and select clubs/classes for the 2013-2014 school year. Appointments can be made by calling the athletic office at (248) 865 – 6743.
– Upcoming Dates:
Friday, May 24: 4pm-7pm, Memorial Day Parade Rehearsal
Monday, May 27: 8:30am, Keego Harbor Memorial Day Parade (more information coming soon!)
– more about Marching Band
If you missed Thursday night’s final performance by the West Bloomfield High School concert bands, you missed a magnificent evening of music. Thank you for providing your audience with an evening to remember and the tributes to the departing seniors. We are looking forward to another great year next year.
Congratulations Seniors as you complete another milestone in your lives and good luck in your future endeavors. We will miss you.
– Congratulations to the following seniors on receiving the following awards:
Louis Armstrong Jazz Award: Peyton Mallory
Patrick S. Gilmore Award: Natasha Kamat
John Philip Sousa Award: Rachel Berkowitz
– Middle School Finale Concerts (bring your bottles and cans!):
OLMS Bands: Thursday, May 23, 7pm, OLMS
Abbott Bands: Thursday, May 23, 7pm, Abbott MS
– CONCERT BAND UNIFORMS: If you are not performing at graduation, you must bring in your concert band uniforms (jackets, tuxes, etc) to the band room by Wednesday, May 22. This includes all 9th – 12th grade students.
– more about Concert Bands
– The Jazz Orchestra rehearsal this week on Monday and Wednesday, 2:30 – 4pm
– Last performance: Friday, June 7, 4pm: Ealy School Celebration
– more about Jazz Orchestra
FLOWER SALE FUNDRAISER
– Thank you for everyone who placed an order. We appreciate your support of the WB Bands!
BINGO is up and running every Friday night! Add $30/week to your student’s band account and volunteer today. June volunteer signups have been added to the website. Go to http://wbbands.info/fundraising/bingo/ for more information.
ANNUAL MEETING: Monday, June 3, 7pm, WBHS
Please plan on attending.
BBAWB BOARD MEETING
Tonight, May 20, 7pm, Barnes and Nobel Cafe